How Does ScrumInsight Work
ScrumInsight consists of a survey about your team's environment and how your team practices Scrum. Each Scrum Team member gets a unique survey code upon completing the survey. Answering the questions takes between 8 and 11 minutes for each person.
TIP: Use Scrum Insight during your Retrospective!
Our software performs sophisticated analysis of the survey responses and publishes a report for the team. The advice and information included in your team's report is based on our experience working with Scrum teams since 2004. That experience is captured in our software in the form of sophisticated rules and a HUGE amount of written content to cover every situation! Scrum Insight is an automated online Scrum coach.
NOTE: we do not collect your email address for the Basic and Detailed reports... you must retain the survey codes for each team member who completes the survey!
- The Basic report is available to individuals for free immediately after at least one team member has finished the survey. You can generate it by entering a single survey code on the Team Report page. The Basic report contains the following sections:
- Overall Scores - for the team's use of Scrum and the team's environment
- One Quick Win - the most important, highest impact improvement that the team can work on
- Recommended Support - resources to help your team
- The Detailed report is generated when at least four team members complete the survey. You can enter the survey codes on the Team Report page. The detailed report contains the following sections:
- Everything in the Basic report plus...
- Scrum Score Card - Scrum scores broken down into six aspects of Scrum
- Team Environment Score Card - details on the team's culture and support
- Basic Industry Comparison & Ranking - comparing to all the teams that have already used Scrum Insight
- Education & Support Needs - where are the gaps in your team's knowledge of Scrum
When your Detailed report is generated, we recommend printing it out immediately so that you do not need to re-enter all the survey codes to access it again.
- The Professional edition can be purchased anytime after at least four team members have completed the survey. The Professional report contains the following sections:
- Everything in the Detailed report plus...
- 5 Quick Wins - high-impact ways to improve right now with lots of detail and links to outside (free) reference information
- Long Term Recommendations - strategic insight and advice for sustaining high-performance Scrum and changing organizational culture
- Detailed Industry Comparison - how your team is doing compared to others with more data and charts
- Easy Access to your report - a custom permanent link in your inbox so you don't have to re-enter a bunch of survey codes every time!
- ... and more explanation for each of the sections of the report, including an FAQ
- ... and your team's scores contribute to our global database of teams for comparison purposes!
You can view a sample live report with some sections redacted to see a bit more what is included in the Professional report.
- The Enterprise edition is custom-configured for you with a unique url for your teams, and a dashboard. We also include support and integration services. The Enterprise report contains the following additional features:
- A customized dashboard for tracking and comparing team results
- Access to integration APIs including access to global anonymized data for analysis
- Customized survey questions
- Links to internal resources for support within your organization
Please call +1-800-215-2314 for details.
TIP: for best results, make sure your Scrum Master and Product Owner participate!
Why It Works
How much money and time could be saved by doing Scrum well? It's probably a lot more than you expect. Many organizations struggle to use Scrum properly and miss the incredible benefits of Scrum. In our assessments we find that most Scrum teams are wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. There are many reasons for this gap:
- lack of training or poor training
- obstacles in your organization
- expensive Scrum coaching for basic advice
Scrum Insight is an expert system created to encapsulate the wisdom of Ken Schwaber, Jeff Sutherland and other globally-recognized Scrum coaches. It's a bit like one of these experts shows up to your team, asks some questions, watches all your Scrum meetings, has a number of in-depth discussions with team members, and then comes up with the most important, high-impact, low effort activities to improve how you are using Scrum and how your organization is supporting your Scrum team. This expert advice takes less than half an hour to obtain and replaces the equivalent of 83 hours of on-site coaching which could cost thousands of dollars.
The Professional report, at only 500 CAD per use, provides information that an on-site coach wouldn't be able to provide. The Scrum scores are objective, the comparison with other teams is objective, and permanent report is a rarely-provided service for a Scrum coach. As an online Scrum coach, Scrum Insight also offers a level of convenience far beyond that of an on-site coach.
Using Scrum Insight with your team can replace all basic coaching advice you would get from a person and do so now. No contracts to negotiate, no hours to schedule, no risk of hiring someone with no real experience, and no bad advice. Just timely, high-impact insight about how to improve your team using Scrum.
Try it now.
Suggested Uses for Scrum Insight
In Your Retrospective
Take less than half an hour start to finish to get a single high-impact action item for your team.
At the start of your retrospective, you introduce Scrum Insight as "A fully-automated online Scrum coach." Ask your team for permission to try it out by pointing them to ScrumInsight.com and giving them a couple minutes to scan the site. Some team members might even just start the survey. It is important to assure your team members that the survey is anonymous and that no personal information is collected - not even an email address. You can also say that "most people take between 8 and 11 minutes to complete the survey. It's quick even though it looks long."
Once you have agreement from your team, give them 15 minutes to complete the survey. As they are doing it, remind them a couple times to write down or copy/paste their survey code. If they lose the code, there is no way to include their survey results in the report!
Make sure you do the survey too if you are a member of the team!
Collect everyone's survey codes. It's easiest if you do so electronically through email or slack. As you receive survey codes from your team members, enter them into the form on the team report generation page. Once you have everyone's survey codes, you can click the button to generate the report.
For the Detailed report that you get with at least four team members, you will get lots of scores to look at, but be sure to focus on the "Quick Win". This is the key action item for your team to discuss and improve over the next Sprints. Depending on what it is, it may be very easy to implement or it may take a bit of collective effort on the part of the team. Reading the Quick Win together and then discussing it may also spark other thoughts on improvement.
After discussing the Quick Win, then turn to the section on "Education Needs" and go through any items there as a team. This ensures all team members have a common understanding of Scrum.
When facilitating this, please do not try to break the anonymity! Scrum Insight, like any good coach, will not blame individuals, but instead is meant to help a team get better at achieving its goals. Discussing this in the Retrospective is only safe for the team if team members can be honest and look at the recommendations rather than what each team member said in the survey.